What to Expect from your Newborn Photography Session: Frequently Asked Questions
How do we know when to schedule a newborn portrait session?
It is best to let Lisa know your due date in advance. That way, she can anticipate the baby’s birth, be on the alert and be ready to fit you in to her schedule soon after the baby is delivered. She can usually accommodate you with only a week’s notice if she is expecting to hear from you.
When is the best age to photograph a newborn baby?
Newborn babies are best when photographed at fewer than two weeks old — the younger the better! In fact, most newborn sessions are held at five to twelve days old. Your baby grows so quickly, that it’s important to capture their precious little size as early as possible.
Why do you prefer the baby to be 2 weeks or younger?
In Lisa's experience, babies younger than two weeks will sleep more soundly, allowing us to position the baby in ways that create the very best portraits for our clients. Babies are also more flexible at this age. After 2 weeks, most babies tend to be more alert and a bit restless, thus much more difficult to capture the images her clients expect her to deliver. The very best time is 7-10 days and it is highly recommended that we capture your baby during this time frame.
What should we expect in a newborn session?
Lisa is looking to create a variety of photographs of your baby, capturing how special and tiny a newborn can be. She will do some images of the baby sleeping, the baby wrapped in soft wraps and the baby in your arms, plus Lisa will capture all of those tiny newborn features! She will keep the studio much warmer than normal, so that the baby will be comfortable and will fall asleep for the most angelic portraits!
Do you offer consultations?
Of course! In fact, Lisa encourages you to come visit the studio in advance of your session, to preplan your session and to get to know her. This is such an exciting time for you and she invites you to see her work and discuss your wishes for a successful newborn session. Lisa recommends that you schedule a specific date and time with her so that she is able to give you her undivided attention.
Where will my session take place?
Newborn sessions take place on Monday, Wednesday or Friday mornings in Lisa's studio. Here, she has all the props, lighting, supplies and resources necessary to capture amazing portraits for you. In addition, she has plenty of extra wipes, diapers and baby blankets on hand. Lisa will set aside as many as four hours for your special session.
Where are you located?
Moments Kept Photography studio address : 820 West Ingomar Rd, Pittsburgh PA
What will a session cost?
Newborn sessions are 525.00 this includes a 3 to 4 hour session in her Pittsburgh studio.
Included in your newborn session investment is Lisa's time and talent during the session and a personalized follow up consultation to assist you in making your portrait print order selections.
The session price also includes 25 digital images, delivered to you in a password protected on-line gallery.
*Lisa offers discounted pricing for her First Year Milestone Portrait Plan and/or a Maternity Mini Session at a cost of 225.00 per session.
This pricing is offered only to those purchasing a newborn session.
How long will you spend with us?
Lisa will set aside four hours for your newborn session, allowing for feedings or short breaks she may need in order to capture your baby sleeping and awake.
She will do a mixture of color and black & white imagery, with some of the baby alone and some with you together.
Ideally she loves to get some angelic sleeping baby images as well as ones with your baby awake and alert.
Typically, she will begin the session with the portraits of the baby using simple props, such as wraps, hats & baskets, coaxing the baby to fall asleep for the sweetest images.
Then she will capture the parents and the baby together.
Who can come?
Lisa welcomes you and your loved ones and any caretakers assisting you. She encourages both parents to be photographed with the baby and we do these portraits at the end of your session.
If there is an older sibling, these are also completed later in the session.
How should we dress the baby?
It’s not necessary to bring any clothes for the baby. Newborn babies are best photographed naked, or adorned with simple props such as knit hats, dainty tie backs and beautiful textured wraps.
Lisa has many hats, wraps and blankets at her studio to adorn your baby, so relax and let her do the styling!
A naked newborn baby is so beautiful and so perfect. Newborn clothing never fits properly and the baby gets lost in the fabric.
Do you photograph me with the baby?
Yes, of course. The relationship between you and your baby at this early stage is precious to behold. You’ll want to remember just how tiny your baby was at the time.
What should we wear?
For black & white portraits, Lisa suggest wearing a solid black long sleeved top. The dark top is both flattering to the mother who has just given birth as well as being a lovely contrast to the baby’s skin.
Lisa recommends long sleeve shirts to cover the arms, thus capturing a portrait with the emphasis on the baby’s features.
Alternatively, for color images, especially if Lisa photographs the family which includes an older sibling, we suggest that the parents wear light colored shirts,
and any siblings may wear a solid color top. We really don’t want anything to distract from your newborn being the focus of the pictures. Please no black or white; neither are flattering colors against creamy newborn skin.
Mid-tone colors basically means nothing too light or too dark. Cream or chocolate are great alternatives. And your baby will either be naked or swaddled the whole shoot.
It can also be beautiful to photograph the mother wearing a white wrap (which we have at the studio) around her torso and photograph the baby skin to skin next to the mother’s body.
What should we bring?
If you have a special hand knit receiving blanket, that would be great to bring with you to add to the portraits of your newborn baby.
Or you may bring a special stuffed plush toy that you would like to incorporate into a portrait. Simple and organic is best.
Additionally, if you plan to be photographed with your newborn,
you may also want to bring a fresh shirt with you to change into after the session in the event of any small accidents while your baby is naked!
I’m so excited, may I take photos during the session?
Unfortunately, no. Lisa kindly asks you to refrain from any picture-taking during your session, even with your smart phone.
With all the time and effort to pose your baby, she reserve the right to be the sole creator of the portrait art of your baby. She appreciates your understanding.
Do you offer birth announcements?
Lisa has a wonderful selection of birth announcement designs available and is always adding new ones.
Turnaround time on birth announcements is quick — she usually have them ready for pick up in one week’s time from your approval of the layout.
Feel free to brows Lisa's product catalog. Go to www.momentskeptbylisa.com and click on Product Catalog.
What if my newborn has baby acne?
No worries — we see this all the time. Every portrait you select as part of your order will be individually enhanced for lovely skin tones.
She will smooth and soften the blemishes or boo boos, so not to worry!
When will I get to see my photos from the session?
Approximately 4-6 weeks following your session you will receive your completed private online gallery.
However Lisa will provide you with 2-3 of the very best images within 48 hours for announcements.
How many images will I see from my session?
Lisa will photograph dozens of captures in a given session, however not all are keepers.
Lisa will capture as many shots as necessary in order to present you with a strong body of images.
She will then present you with the best 25 images from your session in your personal online gallery.
You will have the opportunity to purchase additional images from your gallery for 20.00/image.
What should I expect to spend on my portraits?
It’s entirely up to you how much you decide to invest in prints from your session, choosing from gift portraits, framed wall art pieces, gallery wraps or custom hardcover books & albums.
You can find Lisa's product catalog on her website: www.momenstkeptbylisa.com
Lisa offers a wide variety of products including the
highest quality prints, metal prints, albums, announcement cards, collages and more!
What happens if I need to reschedule my session?
Lisa understands that personal emergencies, illness or inclement weather sometimes require sessions to be rescheduled.
She kindly ask that you provide as much notice as possible in order to make the time available to other clients.
1. Feed your baby 30 minutes before the photo session or you may feed your baby upon arrival at the studio. No worries!
*Photographing newborns can be a long process, and often takes up to three hours. Full tummies = happy babies, so it is good to start on a high note.
Full tummies also make getting into a deep sleep easier, which is needed to get all those cute, curled up poses.
Additionally, newborns tend to go potty right after eating, so it’s good that this happens while they still have a diaper on.
You may nurse or feed your baby upon arrival if that should work best for you.
2. Book your newborn session early, his or her day 7 to 10; day 7 is ideal.
This timing may come as a surprise to you, as it seems rather early.
However, after this period, newborns “wake up”, and we are not as likely get those long and deep sleeping cycles, which again are NECESSARY for many of the sweet poses.
Also, most newborns usually do better in the morning versus the afternoon.
3. Keep your little one awake as long as possible prior to your session! This will help him sleep for us later!
Keeping your baby awake for 2 hour prior is ideal. Although difficult , this is the most important step in your preparation!
Newborn Session Contract 2016
Terms & Conditions
1. Payment. Session fee of 525.00 is due upon the session date. Session fees cover time, talent and secure your session date and current pricing. Printed images and products are sold separately. Twenty-five digital images are included as agreed upon.
Expected completion time for your gallery is 4-6 weeks.
2. Cancellation. In the event of an illness, please call as soon as possible to reschedule. Moments Kept Photography maintains the right to reschedule if needed due to inclement weather, illness, emergency, etc. Requests for rescheduling or re-shoots are granted only at the photographer's discretion. This decision must be made before the session or within the first 30 minutes of the session.
3. Electronic Devices. Cameras, cell phone cameras, and camcorders are not permitted during sessions.
4. Modifications. If the client has a request for a small alteration of an image, please let the photographer know when you place your order. The photographer can address minor changes at no cost (fix blemishes, tighter crop, etc.), but more involved requests are billed at $15/hr. The photographer will let you know if there will be extra charges before work begins. Once the requested changes are made, charges apply regardless of whether the final product is purchased.
6. Payment. The photographer will not begin design work or process orders until payment is complete.
7. Digital Images. If the client purchases the digital download of images, Moments Kept Photography will provide detailed printing instructions. To ensure the best print quality, avoid altering the images before printing.
The photographer is not responsible for printing errors or for quality of prints or products printed by the client or through any lab other than the professional lab Lisa offers her clients.
8. Returned Checks. Checks returned by the bank, for any reason, will be charged a $35.00 service charge, and sessions/orders will be cancelled if they are not paid in full within three days of notification.
9. Copyright Laws/Model Release. Moments Kept Photography retains the copyright on all images (even those purchased on a DVD or online gallery) and reserves the right to use the images for advertising, display, publication, or other purposes. The client signing this contract warrants that he or she has actual authority to agree to the use of the likeness of all persons included in the portrait in this manner and shall indemnify and defend the photographer in the event of litigation arising out of such use. Negatives, digital files and previews remain the exclusive property of this Studio/Photographer. Under no circumstances, can a client use these images for profit, commercial endeavors, professional display, or in competitions. Copying or scanning images from the client's gallery, Moments Kept Photography's website or blog is considered stealing, regardless of the intent for use. NOTICE OF COPYRIGHT: It is ILLEGAL to redistribute these photographs for profit or use other than private consumption without the photographer’s permission, and violators of this Federal Law will be subject to its civil and criminal penalties.
10. Liability. Client is aware that the quality of the end result print of the digital files delivered is not under the control of the photographer and frees the photographer from any liability for any claims whatsoever based upon discoloration in the end result print. The photographer is not responsible for the quality of services provided by its business partners.
If the photographer cannot fulfill this Contract due to fire or other casualty, strike, act of God, or other cause beyond the control of the parties, or due to the Photographer’s illness or emergency, then the photographer shall return any deposit or sitting fee to the Client but shall have no further liability with respect to the contract. This limitation on liability shall also apply in the event that photographic materials are damaged in processing, lost through camera or media malfunction, lost in the mail, or otherwise lost or damaged without fault on the part of the photographer. In the event the photographer fails to perform for any other reason, the photographer shall not be liable for any amount in excess of the retail value of the client’s order. The client releases Lisa Schmidt, and all employees of Moments Kept Photography, from all liabilities, claims and damages that may result from any accidents or incidents that may happen during the session.
***A typical newborn session lasts 3-4 hours. In order to guarantee the client 25 images, the photographer must complete her typical workflow before attempting any special requests from the client. The completions of all special requests are left to the discretion of the photographer.
If it is determined by the photographer that your newborn session needs to be rescheduled within the first 30 minutes of your session, the photographer will reschedule your newborn session at no charge.
However, if a newborn shoot needs to be rescheduled after the first 30 minutes of a session, a fee will apply.
Rescheduling your session is left to the discretion of the photographer.
It is strongly advised that you have a pacifier accessible for the session even if you don’t intend on using one on a regular basis.
* I Agree _____
I have read and understood this agreement, including the terms and conditions, and agree to be bound by them.
* I Agree______
I am the parent or legal guardian of any minor(s) named above and have the legal right and authority to execute the model release stipulations named in this contract on behalf of the minor.
* I Agree______
I will download and backup all digital files within 1 week of receiving the gallery email with the digital download.
--------------------------------------------------------- Date ------------------------------